Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Going to the Shack

Hey Everyone,
Just wanted to give you a "head's up" and try to get everyone "on board" and "up to speed" (how many catch phrases are you allowed in one sentence? :-)

So I've read The Shack and enjoyed it and I thought we might try to start a discussion about it. We can touch on some of the controversy if you want but I would rather keep it as positive as possible. I'm thinking we should start in a couple of weeks in order to give some the time to read it or at least begin. So, make some notes about what you liked, disliked, what touched you, etc. and keep watching for the discussion to start!
Love you all,
Keith

8 comments:

Stephanie Anderson said...

I loaned out my book and now I can't remember much to discuss it. I think I'm going to get the audiobook and listen to it again so I can discuss more! Rob can listen to it then, as well.

I'll talk more after....

Steph

Unknown said...

God is a black woman who loves to cook, Jesus quietly carving like an Arab Norm Abrams, the Holy Spirit as a small, quick, color changing Asian woman. They love to eat, the love to look at the stars, they love to be around each other and talk. And God prays. I loved the book.

Gloria Foster would have made a great God in the movie.

Keith said...

Ben! You're priceless! "an Arab Norm Abrams"!HA!

Keith said...

By the way - If you would like some insight into Young's journey to (the writing of ) The Shack, go to:
www.marinerschurch.org/theshack/av/index.html#
Click on the lecture at "Patrice's house" - it's kind of long but I thought it was worth it.
blessings, Keith

Unknown said...

Without digging out my copy for reference (but I will if threatened) do you think the theme "it's not about rules, it's about a relationship" will have an impact on peoples' lives, or are people who are already on that path the only ones reading the story?

Keith said...

Hmmm, not sure. I suspect that the vast majority are already Christian. And - does relationship over rule have the same appeal to non-Christians as to those who have been too caught up with rules?? Maybe to some. (?)What are you thinking?

Stephanie Anderson said...

Steph just got it on itunes. I'll begin soon.

Rob

Stephanie Anderson said...

I am to chapter 13 and can't get enough. It is a different experience listening to a book rather than reading one. I am quite fond of this one you know:)