Saturday, November 15, 2008

All Things In Common

The title of the blog is also the title of my sermon this Sunday (Nov.16). Here is a preview of one of the ideas I'm wrestling with: "Is unselfishness other-worldly?" Baby Jesus is the poster-child of what it means to be unselfish (leaving heaven) and the man Jesus is as well (the cross).

We read in Acts 2:44 that the early church "had all things in common" - some have called this communism, others have used it to steal in the name of God. Perhaps it is misused in other ways too.

I think those just reveal a "this-worldliness" instead of following the unselfish example of our Lord's "other-worldliness." This world simply does not understand this kind of unselfishness. For that matter, neither does much of the church. (Including me most of the time). More's the pity.

Blessings

1 comment:

Stephanie Anderson said...

I was inclined to believe that being kind, unselfish, and the like were easy things to do that just came natural. I now realize these traits were instilled in me by my parents. I truly believe it is "unnatural" to be unselfish. That is why we must make choices to train ourselves and in some ways convince ourselves that we get pleasure in other peoples joy.